Universal database interface?

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 10:29:32 -0400

Here's an interesting proposition:

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/2005/04/11/rsdp.html

I don't particularly like the author's specific, proposed solution, but there may be merit in having a common, vendor-neutral, transport for SQL statements and result sets.

Consider, back in the day, ethernet was not the universal standard that it is today. You couldn't count on a PC to have ethernet built-in. Today, you *can* pretty much count on ethernet being there. Likewise, I can remember when tcp-ip was not a given, but now you can just count on having that as well. Is it so far out to hope for some sort of universal database interface that one could just count on having available on any PC just as we assume that ethernet and tcp-ip will be available?

Obviously such an interface could not handle all the myriad vendor-specific features that are out there, but surely one could be designed that would cover most of the simple and common cases such as firing off a query and getting results.

Well, read the article for yourselves. I'm interested in what others think on this.

Best regards,

Jonathan Gennick --- Brighten the corner where you are http://Gennick.com * 906.387.1698 * mailto:jonathan@gennick.com