Re: Storage options on SolarisX86

From: Ray Stell <stellr_at_cns.vt.edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 08:27:16 -0400

The quiet on this topic is facinating? The dell reps are all chearing.

I wish I could offer something, I do have plans to look at qlogic support for sol x86 for one of their HBA cards for san attached storage, but I've go linux testing to complete before I get there:

http://www.qlogic.com/support/product_resources.asp?id=126

On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 02:20:11PM -0700, David Turner wrote:
> In the shop I work Standard Edition is the rule for
> most of our database. It's worked well for the most
> part but there are times where we've had to go to
> Enterprise, which I didn't complain about.
>
> For the systems that can still run on Standard Edition
> I've been looking for a way to get them more
> horsepower. Standard Edition is limited to 4
> processors, so the only alternative is to get more
> mhz. However, I've been told there are limited drivers
> under Solaris X86 for raid controllers.
>
> Is there anyone out there running serious systems
> under Solaris X86? Moving to Linux for us is a couple
> years off. I could have Oracle 10G Standard Edition
> running on cheaper faster x86 boxes tomorrow if I can
> resolve this disk issue.
>
> Thx, Dave

Ray Stell stellr_at_vt.edu (540) 231-4109 Tempus fugit 28^D