RE: Any way to run more than listener on the same port?

From: Andre van Winssen <awinssen_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 20:01:10 +0200

Hi Jay,

Separate Oracle installations can have separate listener.ora files and = thus
separate TNS listeners.=20
The only thing important is that (for tcp/ip protocol) the combination=20 ip-address/port should be unique in the network.

Regards,
Andre van Winssen

From: Christo Kutrovsky [mailto:kutrovsky.oracle_at_gmail.com]=20 Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 3:52 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: RE: Any way to run more than listener on the same port?

I am copy/pasting this from the archives:

>For portability reasons our Unix SAs would like us to run one listener =
/
>instance on the same port of each server.

Yes you can have multiple listeners listening on different VIPs on the same port.

To configure, just edit your listener.ora file and edit the ADDRESS_LIST part of each listener definition, and set your "HOST=3D<ip>" to the VIPs that your administrators are giving.

Example listener.ora:
LISTENER_DB1 =3D

  (ADDRESS_LIST =3D
        (ADDRESS=3D (PROTOCOL=3D IPC)(KEY=3D PNPKEY1))
        (ADDRESS=3D (PROTOCOL=3D TCP)(Host=3D 10.5.5.1)(Port=3D 1521))
  )

LISTENER_DB2 =3D

  (ADDRESS_LIST =3D
        (ADDRESS=3D (PROTOCOL=3D IPC)(KEY=3D PNPKEY2))
        (ADDRESS=3D (PROTOCOL=3D TCP)(Host=3D 10.5.5.2)(Port=3D 1521))
  )

LISTENER_DB3 =3D

  (ADDRESS_LIST =3D
        (ADDRESS=3D (PROTOCOL=3D IPC)(KEY=3D PNPKEY3))
        (ADDRESS=3D (PROTOCOL=3D TCP)(Host=3D 10.5.5.3)(Port=3D 1521))
  )

But with dynamic registration you dont really need to do "1 listener per database". You can have 1 listener listen on all ips, and let each database register with the listener as it starts/stops.