Re: Copying Oracle software between Unix servers

From: Chris Dunscombe <chris_at_thedunscombes.f2s.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 08:19:40 +0100

Dave,

I agree. A couple of years back we managed to mess up an 8i installation on dev server by copying the software (Oracle worked fine but not patching etc. was possible). The issue related to the inventory and various "pointers" about file locations etc, can't remember the details (too long ago).

Anyway I believe that if you're very careful and edit appropriate files (on Unix) then you can do it safely but it's definately safer to do proper installs.

Chris

Quoting David Sharples <davidsharples_at_gmail.com>:

> yes you can really mess up the inventory and then you are unable to patch it
>

> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 08:19:06 -0500, Luc Demanche <lucdemanche_at_gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > Do you have some bad stories about that?

Chris Dunscombe

www.christallize.com