Re: Oracle on VMS?

From: Barbara Baker <barb.baker_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 16:01:16 -0700

Paul:
We currently have a 4-node VMS cluster running VMS 7.3 We recently upgraded a few databases to 9.2.0.4 with RAC, and are still running 8.1.7.4 and 7.3.4 databases with OPS.

I love VMS. The os is dependable and bullet-proof. It just keeps running. (I also support oracle on Solaris, Linus, and NT. VMS is far superior to any of them)

Oracle support is good, but continues to deteriorate. (It used to be excellent.) Oracle locally is actively trying to move us off of VMS so they don't have to put up with us any longer. We encountered a fatal bug when we upgraded a critical database to 8.1.7.4, and Oracle all but thumbed their noses at us (even tho at the time 8.1.7.4 was still a supported version.)

Our software vendors also dislike supporting VMS, and several have refused to continue VMS support altogether.

The answer to your question, of couse, is "it depends". If you want a thoroughly reliable operating system, and you have enough DBA talent to withstand lukewarm support from Oracle, you'll be fine with VMS. Don't expect speedy releases of patches.

Whatever your direction, I wish you luck.

Barb