Re: Copying Oracle software between Unix servers

From: Robyn <robyn.sands_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:24:46 -0700

I've done this with 9i installations, so I'd like to hear if there are drawbacks. If you're installations are very consistent, and you are installing the same options from server to server, I think it can work well. AFAIK, a relink all should let you know if there are problems with the installation.

In one sense, if each installation is done via the installer, then testing a patch application on the development environment is not a true test of what you will encounter when you apply the patch on production. Right now, I'm patching servers and every one was done slightly differently; different paths and different options. I've had an easier time 'fixing' Oracle inventories for installations built from cloning than from installations.

If I could be missing a hidden problem, someone please let me know ...

Robyn