Re: Copying Oracle software between Unix servers

From: jungwolf <spatenau_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:39:15 -0600

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 08:19:06 -0500, Luc Demanche <lucdemanche_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> A friend of mine was telling me that in his shop, they don't install
> Oracle software by the Installer anymore. They 'tar' one ORACLE_HOME
> from a unix server and copy it to the new server. It seem to work
> properly.
>
> Do you have some bad stories about that?

I was in a shop that did this all the time in the v7 and v8 days. We had one box that we kept "legit" and then would copy its ORACLE_HOMEs out to the other servers as needed. This was for both DEV and PROD.

I haven't tried it for 9i and I don't have any plans to. If pressed I might try it for DEV but I'd keep all the PROD servers legit, especially now that RAC is on the scene.

Steven