RE: Oracle on VMS?

From: Powell, Mark D <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 08:42:43 -0500

I supported an OPS system running on VMS for several years and across a couple of upgrades. VMS is a very stable system. I found the directory structure and editors to be painful to have to deal with but overall the system functioned well.

With just a few exceptions dealing with Oracle on VMS is about the same as dealing with Oracle on UNIX.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --

From: Paul Baumgartel [mailto:paul.baumgartel_at_gmail.com] Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 5:47 PM
To: Oracle-L (E-mail)
Subject: Oracle on VMS?

I'm soliciting backup for a recommendation NOT to migrate our Oracle10g databases to a VMS cluster that our parent company is installing in a new data center. I'm thoroughly convinced that it's not the way to go (I'm planning to use RAC on Linux), but the more ammunition I have, the better. Do we have any VMS users who can relate their experiences regarding release availability, technical resources at Oracle, etc.? On the flip side, do we have anyone on the list who has chosen VMS for a new Oracle deployment?

Thanks,
--

Paul Baumgartel
paul.baumgartel_at_gmail.com