Re: Configuration of the SAN

From: Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:51:07 -0500

its not your fault for them using 146 GB drives. 36 GB drives would be much better - with still only 16.9 GB being used off of each.
just slice off what you need and leave the rest dark.

This is what I see as a HUGE reason for going with ASM:

entire physical disks are turned over to oracle. The sysadmins, storage admins, everyone other than the people that were running connect-by queries against the +ASM instance are unable to tell what is going on under the hood. wonderful.

If you don't go with ASM,
short-stroke the drives by only using the first half for live files, store backup sets on the remaining space. Check out James Morle's papers on this, such as "Sane SAN".

Paul

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:41:11 -0500, Luc Demanche <lucdemanche_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are trying to do a good configuration of our SAN.
> Let's see that exemple.
>
> EMC, with disk of 146G.
> - one LUN of RAID-5 for data (4+1 disks = 534G)
> - one LUN of RAID-5 for index (4+1 disks = 534G)
>
> Here is my question, about redo logs
> - one LUN of RAID-1 for redo group 1 (2 disks mirroired = 146G)
> - one LUN of RAID-1 for redo group 2 (2 disks mirroired = 146G)
> - one LUN of RAID-1 for my archived log files (2 disks mirroired = 146G)
>
> I will have a filesystem of 146G to store my redo group of 2G .... what a waste.
> Same thing for my redo group 2 and my archived log files ...
>
> What is your LUN configuration regardinf redo log groups and archived
> log files ?
>
> Thank you
>
> --
> Luc Demanche