Re: Installation of the Oracle software on the SAN or not

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 07:56:51 -0800

Contrary opinion to previous replies:

single ORACLE_HOME installation = single point of failure

You may not think of your ORACLE_HOME as a failure-prone component, but of course it is, just as much as your OS install or any hardware component. Try backing out a patch upgrade that failed half-way through installation, for just one simple example.

Keeping copies of ORACLE_HOME identical across Unix machines is not unreasonably hard, using rsync. I can (and have) argued that in fact this is preferable to relying on the Universal Installer (OUI) to maintain identical ORACLE_HOMEs across a set of servers.

As with any type of redundancy, there is a cost. So there is no "right" answer, it's just a matter of how much risk you want to avoid, at what price. Whether it's on another node in the same cluster, or on a standby server somewhere else, you do really need a "backup" ORACLE_HOME installation somewhere, though.

--
Mark Bole
http://www.bincomputing.com