ssl config

From: Ray Stell <stellr_at_cns.vt.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 09:34:50 -0500

Most of the examples I've looked at wrt ssl config for tnsnames/sqlnet/listener.ora files have multiple ports/protcols defined:

      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)

(HOST = n920.vt.edu)
(PORT = 1523))
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCPS)
(HOST = n920.vt.edu)
(PORT = 2483)))
... Where is it defined that I prefer the secure path if you are sharing this listener, or is this the default? If I don't want traffic to pass
unless it is secure, do I need to set up a seperate listener that is only tcps defined?

The reason I ask is, I had not defined the tcp protocol on the client. Tnsping was failing. I added the tcp address and tnsping works. I doubt that adding the tcp entry to the client corrected the ssl config.

Did I mention how much I've enjoyed the Oracle docs on ssl. My personal favorite is where they tell me how to configure listener.ora in the client config seciton.

Oracle Advanced Security Administrator's Guide Release 2 (9.2)
Part Number A96573-01
Chapter 7
Configuring Secure Sockets Layer Authentication Task 2: Configure SSL on the Client

P.S. Off topic: My friend was driving through West Virginia this weekend and saw a pickup with the plates, STELLR FAN. The proposed explanation was something about a pro team in Pittsburgh, but I prefer to think they enjoy my posts here. ;)

Ray Stell stellr_at_vt.edu (540) 231-4109 Tempus fugit 28^D