Re: blob and long raw

From: stephen booth <stephenbooth.uk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 15:07:09 +0100

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 05:39:26 -0800 (PST), Kean Jacinta <jacintakean_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Kinda blur here, Long RTFM ??

RTFM means "Read The Manual" (in deference to the gentler souls on the list I've missed out the word represented by the F, but I'm sure that you can work it out). I believe that Mladen was indicated that the answer would be too long to realistically be dealt with on a mailing list and that you should read the relevant manuals. Maybe then come back with more specific questions based on your reading. Documentation can be found here: http://tahiti.oracle.com/

Given that Oracle provides tools to handle BLOBs I think that you should certainly investigate them as a possible route (i.e. RTM). Also BLOBs can be stored physically out of line with the table that holds them.

As for what a BLOB locator is, well, at risk of seeming facetious, as I understand it, it's basically a marker that tells Oracle the location of a BLOB. Think of it like the catalogue in a library. The catalogue has the information about a book (title, author, publisher, classification, format, language &c) and a reference to where the book is in the library (shelf reference or numeric reference such as Dewey Decimal). In other words, books aren't stored in the catalogue, they are out of line (stored separately) but with an inline reference to their location.

Stephen