Re: how goes testing?

From: Paul Drake <>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 16:19:41 -0500

uh, yeah.
my favorite is if one installed 8i/9i on win32 using defaults which put the oracle home in say d:\oracle\ora92 and the inventory location (inst_loc) in c:\program files\oracle\Inventory ... 10.1 won't even install.
The solution is to uninstall/reinstall using 10g OFA. Not a huge deal, just adds to the maintenance window and adds a reboot. With an uninstall/reinstall, no sense jumping through the hoops of the,, opatch fun, might as well go straight to Maybe.
setting %ORACLE_BASE%=D:\oracle sure works better, with the new 9.2 home being D:\oracle\product\9.2.0, just like on the *nix installs. (feel free to chime in here MT). was pretty good as far as we were concerned. Hit no bugs. is no fun. 2 one-off patchsets already for win32 out there ... didn't mess with them. has lots of fixes (issues) ... which is why we're being ambitious on testing
(I ignored 8.0.x entirely, as well as 8.1.5 and 9.0.1). Figured with the downtime windows available last night/today that I'd get rolled out to some test servers.

gotta do something until the poker game tonight ...