Auditing DBA activities

From: Crawford, Margareth (HQP) <Margareth.Crawford_at_rhi.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 12:48:41 -0800

We are interested in industry practices concerning auditing Oracle DBA activities in production environments. We are aware that there are ever-increasing internal and external security regulations governing access to corporate financial data. This may result in companies that require audits of Oracle DBA and SYS/SYSTEM accounts.

We are interested in how other IT departments have dealt with this issue. We would be particularly interested to hear how companies have implemented DBA auditing: (1) across different Oracle versions, (2) restricting a DBA from modifying audit information, and (3) auditing tasks that can modify data or objects. We'd also like to understand the tradeoffs that these DBA audit controls can introduce

Thanks,
Margareth