RE: Disaster Recovery options

From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 00:06:00 +0100

Ellis,
IMHO, Logical Standby isn't very usefull for DR. There are quite some glitches, and it is hard to keep the standby running. I was told by a DBA that he was resuming the standby almost every hour, circumventing unsupported SQL by manually reinstatiating single objects and skipping the illegal transactions.

Furthermore, consider the extra load of supplemental logging, and the lack of scalability. When the RAC is pushed to its limits, the standby cannot keep up.

Logical Standby can be usefull for off-loading reports, but not for DR. If you need both a report server and DR, consider running two standby's, one logical and one physical.

Best regards, Carel-Jan

Best regards,

Carel-Jan Engel

===
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. (Derek Bok) ===