RE: Disaster Recovery options

From: Ellis R. Miller <outlawdba_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 09:28:38 -0600

Brian,

If you use Oracle Data Guard to set up a logical standby database (10G) where SQL from primary node is applied to secondary and the primary is an OLTP application then the secondary can/should be used for reporting.

Thus, where the pricing becomes more reasonable is in using the Data Guard architecture to ensure HA (failover) AND for a reporting architecture in which the primary node isn't getting pounded by long-running reports whilst high-concurrency transactional processing is occurring.

Generally, this pricing would be justifiable as from the standpoint of HA it is 24x7 high-concurrency, business critical OLTP applications that can afford the least amount of downtime, of course, and also require a separate reporting server. (I realize that many real-life environments like bringing the hardware to its knees by running resource-intensive reports or even batch processing even as millions of banking transactions are being processed and jeopardized but...)

Data Guard is infinitely improved over the former standby database architecture especially with regard to administration via OEM, instantiation without downtime, and, again, reporting.

A couple good references:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/availability/htdocs/DataGuardRedoShi pping.htm

http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/availability/htdocs/DataGuardOvervie w.html

Hope that helps, some, and I am not sure Data Guard would be justified in your case or not but the reporting architecture, when considered with the HA advantages, does make the cost justification reasonable.

Ellis