dynamic insert querry

From: Bob Metelsky <bobmetelsky_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 08:37:24 -0500

All - I need to build an insert statement for the following condition

I have a column with batch_ids with counts from 1-500k I want to build an insert statement that will pull n# of rows

So I want to insert 1000 rows of each batch id (dosnt matter which) I just need a sampling of the data

goal
insert into table
select * from source where batch_id = 123 and count(batch_id) between max(count(batch_id) ) -1000 ;

this is what I have so far, its messy and still needs work

select 'insert into TARGET select * from SOURCE where batch_id = '||batch_id|| '
and count(batch_id) BETWEEN' ,count(batch_id)|| ' AND 100;' from SOURCE where rownum <=10 group by batch_id;

There must be a more graceful way to do this <g>

thanks !
Bob

--
"Oracle error messages being what they are, do not
highlight the correct cause of fault, but will identify