Re: Sanity check re. layering of views

From: rjamya <rjamya_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 09:29:17 -0500

I have seen it ... but I have also seen something like this ...

create table foo (col1 number, col2 number) /
create view v_foo as
select col1 column_1, col2 column2

   from foo
/

Simply because they didn't like the column names on the table, a view is created.

Trust me, I didn't even pickup the battle since application was already written using v_foo by that time.

My opinion is to use view only when required. Raj

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 10:09:07 -0400, Boivin, Patrice J <BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca> wrote:
> I am being told that where there are five layers of views, it's because the
> design of the base tables no longer meet requirements.
>
> So they build views upon views.
>
> Do you think it's reasonable to see five layers of views?
>
> My instinct it would be ideal to have at most three layers of views. That
> perhaps it's more an issue of the design of the queries used to retrieve the
> data.
>
> Patrice.

select standard_disclaimer from company_requirements where category =
'MANDATORY';