Question: Oracle Backup to NAS Device SATA vs.. SCSI vs. $$$

From: Henslee, Jeff <jhenslee_at_wausauwindow.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 11:23:40 -0600

Environment: Solaris 8, Oracle 8.1.7.4 (250+GB), Recovery Manager, = Legato Networker, AIT-3 Tape

Question:
We're looking to speed up our backup window (and recovery should we ever = need it) by investing in a NAS device to backup our database hot in the = wee morning hours using Recovery Manager and Legato Networker. Then = performing a file system backup to backup from the NAS to tape during = the day.

Question for anyone using NAS devices in this fashion. Would disk = drives with SATA technology be "strong" enough to help me shorten our = backup window? I know that SCSI technology would be better but with our = budget constraints it's just at the top of our available budget dollars.

Any experiences (positive or negative) out there from anyone using NAS = devices in this fashion would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Jeffrey C. Henslee (Chico)
Six Sigma Green Belt
Wausau Window and Wall Systems