Re: RAID 0 for small databases

From: Giovanni Cuccu <gcuccu_at_dianoema.it>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:25:04 +0100

Hi,

        I think that you should evaluate if the downtime associated to the disk failure is acceptable. In this case you have to wait for a new disk and recover the db. If the customer can tolerate this for me it's ok (you are getting some extra work, but this is not necessarily bad). Please also consider that modern SCSI disks (usually) are at least 36GB so you could apply the same considerations to db bigger than 3gb. just my 2 cents,

        Giovanni

P.S. I assume the db is in archive log mode.

> Hi, I don't know if I'm doing a mistake, but I think is better to use
> RAID 0 for a small database (up to 3 gigas) when they get a backup
> daily.
> And two copies of the redologs are saved.
> I thinks this is enough safe, or you think is better anyway to use RAID 1.
> Thank you in advance.

Giovanni Cuccu
Sw Engineer_at_dianoema.it
Dianoema S.p.A.