Re: using LDAP with MS ACTIVE DIRECTORY

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:41:34 +0000

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 17:45:26 +0300, Jaffar_DBA <sjaffarhussain_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> We are planning to move away from oracle names server and wanted to
> make use of LDAP facility with MS ACTIVE DIRECTORY. I have the
> following doubts in this regards:
>
> 1. Do we have to create any schema for database in the Active
> Directory , as when I try to use directory usage configuration, it
> complains that I dont have schema for the database.

Yes you do. This change is significant in AD terms and will require discussion with your domain admins.

> 2. I dont need to make use of OID(oracle Internet directory), rather I
> would like to use MS Active Directory option.

When I tested this, I needed to do the schema modifications with a 10g client. There are a bunch of notes on metalink about this issue (Bug 2940674 for example). NB this doesn't mean you need your databases or clients to be at 10g, just that the schema modifications needed to be at 10g.

> 3. Does OID required or I can go with MS Active Directory with LDAP?

OID isn't required, it might be a good idea though in terms of getting the most support out of Oracle.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA