RE: Perl again

From: Martic Zoran <zoran_martic_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:50:32 -0800 (PST)

Ron,

Thanks a lot for helping me.

When I said it is hard, I was thinking about the more complex things then just successful DML, like exception handling and other things. It is easy to send something to something else. Like from Perl do some piping to SQL*Loader, but then what. What to do with errors/discards, ....

It is not good enough. You need to have the environment where you can create more complex business logic.
SQL*Loader output are the table rows + multiple files for errors, discards.

When you are using bulk DML in C or Perl or whatever you get errors back then deal with them properly.

SQL*Loader is great but as PL/SQL or anything else is not for all purposes.

Why do you think you cannot beat SQL*Loader speed? At the end it is based on C OCI, is not it? And do not believe it they are updating that piece of SW all the time :)
Like exp/imp.

They said in the past use PL/SQL, but PL/SQL did not have bulk DML for a long time. They fixed it properly only from 9i.

We had proper bulk DML in 8i too and beat PL/SQL in many things.
As I found that PL/SQL implemented prefetching in 10g while you have that in OCI from Oracle.

Would you believe that. Flagship PL/SQL could not compare with Pro*C or OCI some time ago.

Oracle is not perfect, neither their applications. What is new about Oracle is that they are now listening around for good advices and implementing them.

Regards,
Zoran

Yahoo! Small Business - Try our new resources site! http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/resources/