Re: Does it matter where the binaries are?

From: jungwolf <spatenau_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:29:10 -0600

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:40:33 +0000, stephen booth <stephenbooth.uk_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> We have a collection of systems proposed where a set (I'm
> delibaerately avoiding the word 'cluster' here as we're not talking
> RAC) of Sun V440 boxes will be running Oracle instances attached to a
> NetApp 920c filer cluster providing storage. Each server will be
> running one live production database and one hot standby (dataguard)
> of one of the database for which the live database is on one of the
> other servers.

Stephen,

I'm not sure why you are running a standby if everything is pointing at the same filer (using NFS, right?). From your description it sounds like everything is on the NAS (including $ORACLE_ADMIN) and all the databases should have individual names. If server A dies, walk over to server B and resurrect the databases whose instances were on A.

If you don't have all of the volumes mounted on each server, you'll just have one added step of adding a mount.

Am I missing something? (Easy enough to do...)

Steven