Re: Datawarehouse backup

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 18:55:32 +0000

The implication was that the poster was unable to do archive log backups during the week.

I'm with Tim, archivelog should always be on.

If there's a reason you simply cannot backup archive logs during the week, my suggestion was to backup archive logs during the weekly backup along with the rest of the database.

This would give you a recoverable backup. Yes, I was suggesting to delete the archive logs the rest of the time if you could not back them up.

This avoided taking the database down for a backup.

I don't believe this to actually be a good idea, just a poor but plausible solution to the posters problem.

Think of what you are losing by doing this:

So, yes, I really meant what you think I did.

No, I don't actually think it to be a good idea.

--
Jared Still