RE: Does it matter where the binaries are?

From: Hostetter, Jay M <JHostetter_at_decommunications.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:45:10 -0500

OK, let's try this again.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Stephen,

For many years we have been running Oracle in a 2 node cluster environment (HP Tru64, 8i and 9i databases), but without RAC. We have ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_BASE, the datafiles, etc. stored out on the shared disks. If one node crashes, we can just bring up the database on the other node. I'm going to argue that you don't even need your standby database.

In this scenario, when we do OS patches, we patch both nodes and relink the Oracle software. /etc is shared by both nodes - I don't know if that is the case in your scenario.

Since ORACLE_HOME is on the shared disks, we can't accidentally start the database on both nodes - Oracle complains that it can't mount the database in exclusive mode.

You can also setup different ORACLE_HOMEs for different applications. That way you don't affect all databases on all of the nodes. When we do database upgrades, I setup a new Oracle Home and migrate the databases over to it, one at a time.

You may want to setup a listener for each database or each node - give it a unique name like LISTENER_DB1 or LISTENER_NODE1, or something like that. In our situation, we use cluster services to assign a IP addresses that are unique for each database. When we move the 'service' to another node, the IP goes with it, so we don't have to change our TNSNAMES files.

Jay

**DISCLAIMER
This e-mail message and any files transmitted with it are intended for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed and may contain information that is privileged, proprietary and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, copy or disclose to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail message. The contents do not represent the opinion of D&E except to the extent that it relates to their official business.