Re: Datawarehouse backup

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 04:06:03 +0000

Some comments inline:

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 22:41:26 -0500, Sami Seerangan <dba.orcl_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) Stop ETL jobs
> 2) Change all the tablespaces to READ-ONLY mode except SYSTEM
> 3) Alter system switch logfile( 3 times)

I am curious to know why you are doing steps 2 and 3.

> 4) Shutdown database

...> 9) Start ETL job

Seems like a lot of extra work.

Here's an idea: put your database in archivelog mode, back it up online, including of course the relevant archive logs.

When you're not backing up you could simply delete the archive logs as they are created, or possibly, if you can take a few minutes at the beginning and end of the backups, put the database in archivelog mode and then take the database back out of archivelog mode.

The point being that you have 2 very small downtime windows required for the database backup.

This might not be be an acceptable method, it depends on how many bounces of the database you can affored on a regular basis.

If the overhead of archive logging is not too much for you, just delete those archived logs during the week, leaving the database in archivelog mode.

If you are planning on having a week of unrecoverable data anyway with cold backups and noarchivelog mode, this should work fine.

This would of course be tested first on a test system, along with the requisite recovery test to ensure that you have all the details down pat.

--
Jared Still