Re: Re[2]: Hotsos Symposium, Day 1

From: Thomas Day <tomday2_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 10:36:47 -0500

I guess the reason that that jumped out at me was that I'm currently trying to tune a database that uses a lot of 1=1 or 3=3 embedded in it's packages and triggers. Strangely, it never uses 2=2.

My assumption is that these expressions are used to force CBO not to take a certain path. My further assumption is that up-to-date statistics will remove the need for these items. Both assumptions are unproven but that's the path I'm proceeding down.

I'm further assuming that Oracle does spend some resources evaluating those expressions and that removing them, especially as they can get executed thousands of times an hour, will (theoretically) improve performance.

I guess what I'm looking for is --- is there a good, positive reason to use an expression like 1=1?

Thanks.