RE: How to send e-mail from Oracle

From: Rudy Zung <Rudy.Zung_at_efi.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 14:11:12 -0500

On the platforms that you mention, you will be using UTL_SMTP. You're database may not come installed with all the necessary components; IIRC, = you
will need JAVA_XA, DBMS_JAVA, and TCPConnection installed (from
$ORACLE\javavm\install\initjvm.sql (for the first two packages) and
$ORACLE\rdbms\admin\initplsj.sql (for TCPConnection))

You should also be conversant with RFC821, because with UTL_SMTP, you = will
basically be acting as the Mail Transfer Agent (MTA) talking to a = destination
SMTP server and forming your own RFC821 compliant messages.

Good luck. YMMV (especially installing the Java stuff.)

...Rudy

From: Niall Litchfield [mailto:niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com]=20 Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2005 12:37 PM
To: Nagarajan.Subbiah_at_aetn.com
Cc: List

Version of the database and email requirements would be nice. It sounds = like
9i or lower, in which case you will probably be looking at UTL_SMTP = unless
you require attachments, but version does make a difference.

In the mean time I'm pretty sure that there is a good discussion of the issues on asktom.

--=20
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA