Terabytes on a SAN - need info

From: Kristen Cameron <cameronkgd_at_inac-ainc.gc.ca>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 11:31:48 -0500

In the next few months, I'm going to be asked to set up an Oracle database (probably 9i, maybe 10g) using a SAN for storage. The database will contain 4-8 terabytes of spatial data (orthorectified air photos, Landsat etc.). We don't use Oracle spatial, we use ESRI's ArcSDE. We have a smaller geodatabase (250 Gb) already in place.

I don't know anything about the SAN hardware, but Oracle will reside on a Windows 2003 server. This may also be the database that finally convinces me to use RMAN!

Because this is so new, it is difficult to assess future usage. I expect the number of users on our internal network to be in the 10-20 range. However, we will be offering this data for viewing over the Internet. I would guess we will have several hundred users, potentially thousands, but not likely tens of thousands.

I know nothing about SANs, and can't seem to find a beginner's guide on the Internet. I've found lots of vendor information, but I need something a bit more introductory before I can make sense of that.

If anyone can point me to information on setting up large Oracle databases on a SAN, I'd be grateful. If you have any experience with large spatial databases, contact me offline.

Thanks!

Kristen Cameron
Information Management Group
Indian and Northern Affairs Canada