RE: Projecting resource requirements

From: Leslie Tierstein <leslie.tierstein_at_visionchain.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 07:21:39 -0800

See comments below.=20

> -----Original Message-----
> From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org

[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Mladen Gogala
> Sent: Monday, March 07, 2005 5:48 PM
> To: dnt9000_at_yahoo.com
> Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
> Subject: Re: Projecting resource requirements

<snip>

> You can never have too much CPU power or too much memory.=20

Actually, you can. I know of a project where someone spec'ed a W-A-Y too large database server for a client, which the client spent, oh, about $100,000 more on than is currently required (to support excellent performance), or will be required for the foreseeable future. The client was truly annoyed, and took out their annoyance at my company's over-estimate by finagling, oh, about $100,000 of free services from us.

So, you really have to try to get capacity and resources estimated to some degree. You can't err on the low side, or the users won't ever use the system. You can err a little on the high side, and claim that you're planning for future growth. However, you can't err ridiculously on the high side.

Leslie
Leslie Tierstein
Senior Consultant
Vision Chain, Inc.
The first software to power the demand data network phone: 202-261-3549