Re: question regarding statistics

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_allegientsystems.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 15:07:00 -0500

jungwolf wrote:

>On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 13:38:59 -0500, Mladen Gogala
><mgogala_at_allegientsystems.com> wrote:
>

>>Bryan Wells wrote:
>>

>>>i may have asked this once before, so if it is indeed redundant i appologize:
>>>
>>>is there a difference in analyze and compute statistics?
>>>

>>You probably mean whether there is adifference between DBMS_STATS and
>>analyze. There are several,
>>differences and we can divide them in two groups:
>>

><snip>
>
>Analyze validate structure populates the index_stats table. At this
>point (9.2 for me), does that table give any information that can't be
>found through dbms_stats or some other, "modern" method?
>
>Also, dbms_stats doesn't gather a number of stats like: EMPTY_BLOCKS,
>AVG_SPACE, CHAIN_CNT.

Those are not used by the optimizer. DBMS_STATS also doesn't give you the time of day, the age of Joan Rivers or birthplace of Bill O'Reilly. CHAIN_CNT is only used in BDSM optimizer, which is licensed separately in the kinky database option. Not many people use that.

>Browsing through metalink with the document Mladen suggested as a
>starting point should get you far more information than you really
>wanted.

But not much more then you really need. Life sucks all around, doesn't it? If you want to know
about the CBO, allow me to suggest a little visit to Centrex Consulting. Then you'll see what's
a cornucopia of useful information.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA