Re: Stop Criteria for Sql Execution

From: Lex de Haan <lex.de.haan_at_naturaljoin.nl>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 20:43:28 +0100 (CET)

as Jonathan pointed out already, the Oracle CBO *is* doing some pretty smart things in this area. However, you should always keep in mind that the optimizer is supposed to come back with a good plan as soon as possible; if parsing takes excessive time, the quality of the execution plan becomes less important or even irrelevant, in general.

Examining a complicated WHERE clause to see tautologies and/or contradictions is not as straighforward as it sometimes seems, given the fact that we have to deal with three-valued logic.

cheers,
Lex.