RE: Case study for interviewing Oracle DBA

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 17:06:52 -0600

I have found this thread interesting. One of the most popular books on job hunting is "What Color is Your Parachute". Highly recommended. Its main point is like Bambi says, in moving resumes from the big pile to the little pile, a lot of people consistently get culled out. Unless your resume is an obvious fit for the job, you are passed over for a resume that is. The HR person may always pull out the resumes with college degrees first, for example, and if you don't have one, you may always get passed over.

   The answer from this book is to bypass the system. Figure out a creative way to get past HR and speak directly with the hiring manager. As many people on this list have said "if I get to present myself directly, then they understand just how good I am". The book is full of ideas on how to do this. For us DBAs the answer is often to network. Attend your local Oracle User Group meetings. Even though this Oracle-L list is international, I have made contact with several local DBAs through it. Then when an opening appears at XYZ company, you contact your friend at XYZ company who can at least give you some insights on what they are looking for, maybe put in a good word for you, maybe deliver your resume directly to the hiring manager. If you strongly need a job, contact everybody you know and someone may hear of an opening before HR even hears of it.

   Rachel, the way you described your situation makes me wonder if HR has a legitimate concern that the company interests were overridden. Normally they are expecting that a formal job description is drawn up, several candidates are interviewed, and the most qualified candidate is selected. It may just be the way it was explained to HR made it seem this step was overlooked.

Dennis Williams