Website & Oracle Backend for static content - OT?

From: Deen Dayal <deen.dayal_at_dol.state.nj.us>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 00:02:24 -0500

I want to get some comments from people who already did it or know about it. We are in the process of restructuring our website and the site has 30% dynamic content and 70% static content. This Static content is contributed by a lot of divisions in our department and each department should only have control on their content.

We want to control/track and audit changes to this static content; somebody came up with the idea of putting all the web pages content into an oracle database and develop some User Interface to modify the content. On daily basis all the changed static content is extracted and pushed to site.

Here are my questions

  1. Did anybody do this kind of work? Is there any software which can accomplish what we are trying to do?
  2. How people out there control/manage/audit/track their static content with thousands of pages of html/graphics etc.
  3. Going with our idea of Oracle Database as the backend how the user identifies/searches for the content in the User Interface. Let's say he/she wants edit 3rd paragraph in http://somesite/somepath/some.html how does he search for that text and pull it in the GUI to edit.
  4. Any other ideas to implement this??

Can anybody out there point me to any docs or websites which deal with these issues?

Any help in this regard is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Deen