Re: Case study for interviewing Oracle DBA

From: mhthomas <qnxodba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 02:03:34 -0500

Hi,

in-line

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 14:57:23 -0800, Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net> wrote:
> Mladen Gogala wrote:

> > $ svrmgrl
> >
> [...]
>
> If they're still using svrmgrl with 9i, I'd count that against them!

I'm no so sure. I think svrmgrl is a good skill to have. In 10g its simply been replaced with srvctl and crs_stat (etc) so the fun continues.

Yesterday, one of my RAC nodes would not allow remote sqlplus connections to the local instance. Turns out an SA wanted to configure sendmail on that node and 'adjusted' the hosts file by placing the hostname back on the 127.0.0.1 line, and removing it from the bound NIC IP address.

But, when I ran "crs_stat -t" everything appeared wonderful (POS). SQL*Plus through TNS connect on local instance failed, dbconsole failed spectacularly, and ISQLPlus failed. Fortunately, I was interrupted by a meeting where I overheard the comment about 127.0.0.1 and suspected something before having to spend a couple hours in the logs.

The point is "crs_stat -t" was worthless to isolate the problem. I'm not sure, but its possible, the new srvctl command and all its options could have helped. But, I've got a good test case. ;-)

Regards,

Mike Thomas