RE: Case study for interviewing Oracle DBA

From: david wendelken <davewendelken_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 11:18:33 -0800 (PST)

Did you know that there are often 10-1 productivity differences between programmers? That's documented quality and speed differences! 20-1 differences have been found. And that's only including the ones who could do the job - the ones who couldn't weren't part of the measurement.

10-1! Think about it. A manager who gets one of these people is getting a real bargain even if they have to pay them 50% more. (Do the math!)

To get them when they are willing to accept less pay than normal for other reasons is a God-send.

And, if they are a good mentor, they're worth their weight in gold because they'll transform other IT staff into much more capable employees.

Over-qualified candidates should go to the top of the list in case the manager gets lucky and finds a good fit, not be pulled from the pile. With a likely 10-1 advantage in productivity over average, and a good possibility of 20-1, it's worth the time to check it out - even at today's depressed IT wages.

Pass it on to your managers when they are evaluating resumes. You never know, you might get a great colleague and a true mentor out of it.

Don't have my library with me (I'm working out of town), but Capers Jones had a good book on this some years back. Applied Software Measurement or something like that.