Re: Case study for interviewing Oracle DBA

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 00:19:58 +1100

Bellows, Bambi apparently said,on my timestamp of 1/03/2005 5:42 AM:

> the early space program and put it into computers. If you want to go
> into people with 50 years or more experience in computers, you will find
> far more women there than men.

Hmmm. I can't go back that far: I was pretty incoherent as a 1 year old bub. But one thing I remember from my first IT jobs back in the mid-70s: women were a lot more common in the technical side (operations, programming, analysis, design) than they are now. And I learned the ropes of database administration and design from two ladies. Best techos in that area I ever saw. None of them had CS degrees, both were EEs. I don't think any would have had the slightest problem in getting a CS qualification, had it been available when they were students.

We used to laugh at those who tried to "buy" their way into knowledge and experience by means of "certifications" and "degrees". Along the way I can't help feeling we lost the plot in IT, when we now need to listen to an HR idiot tell us we need this or that certificate in order to apply for a job.

Invariably, this comes from someone who has had NO TRAINING whatsoever in HR or IT and is more than likely on the take from a few hiring agency(ies) or manufacturers. I know many of us "accommodate" and go along with the flow. I also know quite a few who won't.

Like it or not, there are still people with a professional attitude to this career who do NOT appreciate to have their qualifications and knowledge belittled by the first wet-behind-the-ears HR person looking for a promotion or a sunny place.

This does not mean however we have to be stupid and shoot ourselves on the foot on every interview. My take is: they wanna play dirty? Two can play that game, let's see who wins.

It doesn't take much to understand and play it. And if one thinks a piece of paper might make life easier to work past them, then I say: go ahead and get the darn thing.

Just make sure you drop a line to the "powers that be" that certification is a two-way street: the HR person should also have one before they can claim to "know" how to select technical people.

Sooner or later, damagement will see the point and start asking questions. Believe me, it works: all you have to do is plant the seed of doubt. They didn't get to be in damagement by being stupid or relying on blind trust.

Bottom line: take the fight back to HR. Let's see if they like it. Nothing pleases me more than to see an incompetent get exposed.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto