Re: Case study for interviewing Oracle DBA

From: Ryan <ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 19:24:23 -0500

> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 13:07:53 -0800, Thomas Day <tomday2_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>> The OCP is no substitute for
>> experience and may even be dangerous in that it gives the holder a
>> false sense of compentence.

ya gotta fluff the resume. I'm doing java certification now too... the first test is stupid. It's basically syntax checkingThis is what a compiler is for... You hit the little button and it tells you where your syntax errors are. The second one looks pretty good. You get a set of requirements and have to write a small application.

The Oracle upgrade exams are really annoying... especially 9i since the upgrade book was so bad and some of the questions are not even in the online docs (I looked them up right after I took the test).

As far as degrees go... they are far more important to employers on the software engineering side. Many shops will not hire you without a computer science degree.
The annoying thing about college degrees is that the good technical stuff is in graduate school. I'm finishing a masters now. I have worked with guys who could do the work, but they can't get in because they do not have an undergraduate degree. My undergraduate degree in Political Science is just critical to grasping Object Oriented design. The good thing about masters degrees is you can bang them out in 2 years and they are all focused in technical areas. No junk classes... well as long as the professor doesn't suck.