Re: Case study for interviewing Oracle DBA

From: Ramesh FL <karai.ramesh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 14:22:40 -0800

I wish it is as easy as learning how to work the system, Dave. It may work in a few places but not in most.

<grumble>

What if the management has preformed opinions? What if your manager thinks an MBA from a Top 10 school is always a better person and will do a great job managing IT infrastructure even though the person may not know enough? (I have seen them a lot). Many non technical managers think that programmers can only think in terms of 0 or 1.

Many managers have preformed opinions based on your degree (which you might have gotten 15 years ago, and if it is from a foreign land you are kept in the bottom most rung of the corporate ladder - "not from a recognized school"), whether you worked for 'Big 5' (you need not know anything, but if you worked for them, you are god to some managers), whether you are from a certain university ("you went to my university too? Great"), and so on. I find it hard to agree with the statement that learning to work the system can you take you above. (A woman could have worked real hard about 30 years ago - I dont think it would have taken her anywhere here in US. No way she could have 'worked' the system back then).

DBAs/technical people should be judged by what they know and what they will be able to do. To measure that a manager has to have a reasonable level of technical knowledge, among other things. If the manager does not have that knowledge and she/he is going to judge a tech person by a whole bunch of other criteria and they are going to get the wrong result.

</grumble>

Thanks