Re: ** impact of time clock changes on Running Oracle DB

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_allegientsystems.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:02:21 -0500

Goulet, Dick wrote:

>Joshi,
>
> I'm going to make the assumption that your running Oracle 9i or
>10g. Maybe that's a bad assumption, but you can correct me if I'm
>wrong. Reason that I mention this is that if your using "timestamp with
>local timezone" as your date data type then there is no time change as
>far as the database is concerned. This is because Oracle converts the
>local date/time to GMT, or Greenwich Mean Time or ZULU, before storing
>it and GMT does not change at all. Otherwise you should see absolutely
>no problems. Been happening to my servers twice a year for 13 years
>now.

Dick, everything is correct, except the interpretation of the abbreviation GMT. Below is
the full text of the announcment published in London Financial Times on 3/31/1998. The
announcement was actually meant to be published the very next day, bu FT couldn't wait

  The New Millennium Is Guinness Time

In anticipation of the new millennium, beer-maker Guinness has struck a deal with the Old Royal Observatory in England to sponsor its year 2000 celebration. According to this agreement, Greenwich Mean Time would be renamed Guinness Mean Time. In addition, seconds, which were traditionally counted in "pips" would now be counted in "pint drips." Finally, because of the official sponsorship, a Guinness tavern would open inside the Observatory and the countdown would feature a Guinness clock counting "pint settling time."

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA