Re: Tweaking the crs

From: Alexander Gorbachev <gorbyx_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 21:08:41 +0100

Arun,

CRS doesn't support IO fencing - this is Veritas stuff. 10g RAC has some ideas of voting disks but it has nothing to do with IO fencing through SCSI-3 reservations.

If you are running CRS on top of other clusterware (perhaps, Veritas as you mentioned IO-fencing) than third party clusterware should normally detect split brain first and signal to Oracle instance. Split-brain situation is when you have both nodes still running but they lost interconnect/heartbeat. In this case one of them has to take ownership of the cluster. In Veritas, it can be through IO-fencing when the winning node kicks out the looser.

If you are running 10g + HP-UX + Veritas - please drop me a mail privately... We were asking Oracle to provide a reference customer with this configuration and it seems there is no one yet.

As far as our understanding is correct, CRS should be able to work without any clusterware. However, it seems that on HP-UX (PA-RISC at least) it can't do it because this implementation of CRS is lacking host membership mechanism - it handles only "instance-membership". Is it's true, we'll get confirmation very soon.

Cheers,
Alex