Re: Number of particular characters in a given string?

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_allegientsystems.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 17:00:34 -0500

Rudy Zung wrote:

>I don't think Oracle has a built-in function for that, but you can =
>cobble one
>together with:
> length(myString) - nvl(length(replace(myString, 'O')), 0)
>
>...Rudy

Oracle 10g has a full spread of regular expression functions which can do pretty much anything
that perl can do, albeit without the elegance and beauty characteristic for the mother other of all
scripting languages, to use sadamesque terminology. There is an O'Reilly book about the regular
expressions in Oracle 10g, written by this list's respected member, Mr. Jonathan Gennick. Jonathan
is, however, missing from the list for several months. Counting appearances of a single character
shouldn't be a problem.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA