Re: UID & GID for os user & group in Unix

From: stephen booth <stephenbooth.uk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 16:59:14 +0000

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 10:58:46 +0700, Ahmadsyah Alghozi Nugroho <Ahmadsyah.Nugroho_at_vico.co.id> wrote:

> Are there any convention which number UID and GID that I have to use for
> 'oracle' os user and 'dba' os group in Sun Solaris?

No standards or conventions that I'm aware of. On my Solaris boxes the Oracle user tends to be UID 100 and the dba and oinstall groups tend to be GIDs100 and 101 respectively but that's just because they tend to be the first user and groups I create after setting up the box.

If you need consistent UID and GID accross servers (e.g. if you're using NFS mounts) then your best bet is to use a directory service rather than local files for the Oracle user (whatever you do don't put root into the directory, sure it'll work for a while but the fallout when anything goes wrong is truly horrifying). Use LDAP or NIS+ (NIS+ is easier to set up and support but less flexible and sure than LDAP).

Stephen