JDBC and class.ForName

From: <ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 14:46:03 +0000

been flipping through several docs, etc... on the jdbc. most of the say i need to execute class.ForName("driver") to use the jdbc. The example for the database that comes with the J2EE sun download(pointbase) uses it.

however, when i look in

$ORACLE_HOME/jdbc/demo/JDBCCheckup.java

I believe the oracle jdbc docs said to play with this script to learn the jdbc.

it does not use class.ForName. Worked fine for me. anyone know when you have to use this? Docs aren't clear? do i only need it for the thick driver?