Re: 10g RAC without vendor clusterware

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 12:43:39 -0500

Well, see, here's the thing. I don't believe in third-party=20 clusterware for RAC. At all.

In fact, I don't believe in RAC on large UNIX boxes. I think it misses=20=

the point.

This is almost straight out of my standard talking-to-an-analyst spiel,=20=

but here it is - RAC's achilles heel is its complexity. The only=20 reason the Sun/IBM big box teams have any justification at all for=20 their servers as an Oracle delivery platform is that RAC is hard to get=20=

working, hard to understand, and hard to manage.

The reason for that isn't just the new architecture - its that there=20 are now additional moving parts. There's clusterware, possible volume=20=

managers, possibly clustered filesystems, not to mention a different=20 configuration and deployment process. All of that means complexity,=20 which means time, which means money.

When the clusterware is provided by a third-party - when its an=20 addition vendor, a new version of an old software, its one more moving=20=

part that has, in one way or another, been shoehorned into Oracle. On=20=

top of that, the different clusterware technologies start to introduce=20=

their own requirements above and beyond what oracle requires. More=20 complexity.

And for the privilege of that additional complexity, the third-party=20 asks you to hand out additional money upfront, and every year=20 thereafter for support.

Oracle's clusterware, for 9i, is very stable. CRS - not so much so. =20 To answer your specific questions, the problems we see currently=20 revolve around the cluster occasionally hanging under specific=20 circumstances - note that the cluster hang does not mean the database=20 is unavailable, it just means that our neat "allocate processing power=20=

on the fly" functionality doesn't work. The other problem is that the=20=

CRS can occasionally reboot individual nodes in the cluster.

I'm not arguing that CRS is a better product than, say, Veritas=20 advanced edition for RAC. I'm arguing that it costs less, both in the=20=

short and long-term.

And yes, Oracle is fixing these problems. Are our customers 24 x 7=20 with these problems? It really depends on your definition of 24 x 7. =20 Is their application up and available and the system manageable all the=20=

time? Yes.

Thanks,
Matt

--