RE: OT-is there a way to do this in unix - date question

From: Parker, Matthew <matthewp_at_amazon.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 16:59:48 -0800

Just double checking the elimination of the 3D that embedded into the = email on send.

echo `date --date=3D$1/12/2005 +%b`

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org =3D
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Mark W. Farnham Sent: Friday, February 11, 2005 2:28 PM
To: Oracle-L

#! /bin/sh
#  Copyleft (C) 2005  Rightsizing, Inc.
#
#  mm2mon -- wrapper for date to return 3 char month abbrev from numeric =

=3D

arg
#            with not even a hint of error checking.
#
#  Usage:    mm2mon <arg>
#

datedummy=3D3D`printf 2005%02d01 $1`
/usr/bin/date -d$datedummy +%b

This seems to work. The returns change based on your local language, =3D though.
If you have a version of the date command that does not take the -d =3D argument this will laugh at you, otherwise it should work fine.

A real shell person may know a cheaper way to format the string than =3D invoking printf; that part of my brain is off on tape somewhere. I think =
=3D

you have to give the -d option a formatted string and it will figure out =
=3D

yymmdd and yyyymmdd. In your case any old yyyy and dd will do.

If you want "like what you get with date +%b" then this is actually what =
=3D

you want.

> <ganstadba_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> > without writing a whole series of ifs, given a number 1 - 12 =
give=3D20
> > the corresponding three letter month like what you get with = date=3D20
> > +%b, but someone supplies you the digits
> > --

Peter Johnson
Humboldt State University
707-826-6122