baarf story - there's still hope

From: Michael McMullen <ganstadba_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 13:07:38 -0500

I've always been forced to use raid-5 on all of our databases. For the most part it hasn't been too bad. A couple of databases we've had to use quick i/o to get decent performance. One server using T3s just bites. Performance has gotten so bad they finally had to do something. The company had ordered a new array with 6 146Gb drives that they were going to raid 5 as the solution to the database problem. Got on a call with all the parties involved expecting once again the database itself would be called into question. The guy in charge of setting up the array said raid 5 is not the way to go. He said switch the 6 146Gb disks with 12 73Gb disks and go raid 0+1 and that you have to measure by throughput not by cost/mb.

Mike