Re: v$object_usage: anyone have bad experience with it?

From: Tanel Põder <tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 15:39:57 -0000

Hi,

You might also want to check from v$segment_statistics whether anyone is actually using your indes (logical reads, segment scans) if your statistics level allows segment-level statistics gathering.

Also you could sample from V$SQL_PLAN using object_owner and object_name columns to see whether any cursor in library cache actually uses the index in its execution. When joining v$sql_plan back to v$sql, you could sample how often this query is executed and how much resources does it take. Btw, you could even try the same query with NO_INDEX hint in 10g to see how much resources would the query take when particular index is not available.

The v$sql_plan method doesn't show use index usage for foreign key enforcement though.

Tanel.