Re: 10g RAC without vendor clusterware

From: Martic Zoran <zoran_martic_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 03:29:30 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

I have ASM running in the RAC mode, that means no need to restart anything.
I have two RAC databases (one ASM and one normal). What a nightmare :)

Did not have enough time to play with ASM in RAC mode.

Anyway ASM is good for the start.
It is going to be improved in 10g R2.

I suppose many ASM bad behaviours will be fixed and the API/GUI for ASM will be much better.

Regards,
Zoran

> Hi Alex,
> looks like you're a little pessimistic about the ASM
> instance. Would
> you care telling us why ? It's just another
> instance, why would be it be
> less reliable than the 'real' instances ? Apart from
> the fact that's it
> is a relatively new feature of course, because the
> same goes for any
> other new major version of a regular volume manager.
>
> I know we will be missing a lot features of regular
> clusterware and
> volume managers, but in this case we really don't
> need any of them. I
> really like products like Sun Cluster and VxVM, but
> there's a lot to be
> said in favor of a cluster with software from only
> one vendor, which is
> a lot simpler to setup, maintain, troubleshoot and
> last but not least:
> way cheaper.
>
> BTW it's certainly not the definitive test, but I
> just killed the ASM
> instance of the second node, and CRS managed to
> restart ASM and the
> other instances nicely.
>
> Regards,
> Koen