Re: Diff between "controlfile autobackup" and "snapshot controlfile"

From: Koen Van Langenhove <Koen.Van_Langenhove_at_siemens.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 11:48:58 +0100

Mladen Gogala wrote:

>Sam Reddy wrote:
>

>>Why there are two of these options ?
>>

>There is no difference. Those two options both produce a backup of
>controlfile which
>can be used to recover database using backup controlfile. The two
>options are here
>to confuse the enemy.

Well, I had this slightly different opinion .. the snapshot controlfile is a backup creates before the actual backup starts in order to have a 'read consistent' view of the controlfile during the backup. The controlfile autobackup is the 'regular' backup of the controlfile and it is created after the datafile and eventually archivelog backups. I read this in R. Freeman's book 'RMAN backup and recovery' ..

So I agree with Mladen that both can be used in recovery operations, but I think there's more to it than just confusing the enemy ;)

--
Regards,
Koen

Siemens ICM/ICN
IC MN D IS

Phone : +32 14 25 3000
Email : Koen.Van_Langenhove_at_siemens.com
Unix IS user-friendly .., it's just quite picky about its friends.